SAM Order Info
3-Axis Simple Aurora Monitor Kit Order
Information - SAM-III
SAM-III Kit is a sophisticated semi-professional magnetometer system designed by
Dirk Langenbach and Karsten Hansky. The SAM-III allows real-time sensing of
Earth's magnetic (geomagnetic) field.
We distribute the SAM-III kit everywhere in the world.
For worldwide orders, click here
The primary application of the SAM-III is in the sensing
and study of geomagnetism. The correspondences between geomagnetic storms,
solar events and solar wind, aurora and radio propagation anomalies are
well-known. The SAM-III will be a useful instrument to radio astronomers,
radio amateurs, aurora photographers and experimenters.
Click here for specifications and description of
the SAM-III and to download the construction manual and software setup guide.
The SAM-III is available in kit form but we offer a
PCB-build option (see build option below). We do not recommend this as a first-time kit but if you have
technical inclination, can solder or learn to solder, and know how to use a PC,
you will have fun building the kit.
The SAM-III software is not plug-and-play but
installation is as simple as copying a few files to a new folder and determining
the serial COM port to be used. Installation requires no more than a few
minutes. The software makes no changes to the Windows registry and has been
tested with Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10.
- The kit includes complete construction and setup
manuals on CD
- We provide email technical support for kit
purchasers. When contacting us, please remember we work on this project in our
private time and it is unlikely you will receive an instant reply
- If you have a question or problem that we cannot resolve, we
will put you in contact with the designers (same limitation as above)
- If you damage components during assembly or
testing, we will sell you new ones at our cost plus postage
- Two Yahoo Groups have been established for users to
discuss applications and problems, one in
Magmeter) and one in
SAM-III Kits are prepared in limited production runs using
private time and effort. We do not procure parts in large quantities, and
we setup production runs to satisfy only current demand. Please take that
into consideration when you place your order. If you would like to order
the SAM-III Kit in quantity, please contact us for a delivery schedule before
ordering. The SAM-III Kit includes over 100 components. The original
SAM Kit (1- or 2-axis) has been retired and is no longer available.
The SAM-III Kit part numbers
SK3-1, SK3-2 and SK3-3 include
- Controller and keyboard printed circuit boards (PCB)
- PIC16F877 microcontroller and 16 MHz clock crystal
- Logic and analog op-amp integrated circuits
- Voltage regulator and voltage conversion integrated
- RTC-72421 Real time clock integrated circuit
- Real time clock battery
- Resistors and capacitors
- Pushbutton switches
- Pluggable terminal blocks for connecting input/output signals to
- Coaxial plug and jack for dc power input
- 4x20 liquid crystal display, STN yellow/green with
yellow-green LED backlight or
blue/white with white backlight (depending on
- Ribbon cables and connectors
- Insulated wire for power and EIA-232 interface
- DB-9M connector for EIA-232 serial interface
- Null modem cable, DB9F-DB9F
- CD with application software and construction and
- Magnetometer sensor with connector, quantity
depends on part number
- P/N SK3-1 includes one sensor, SK3-2 includes two
sensors, SK3-3 includes three sensors
- Additional magnetometer sensor with cable connector.
- AC adapter power supply, 115 Vac, 60 Hz input,
regulated 12 Vdc output (with input plug for North America).
- AC adapter power supply with four "worldwide"
voltage range and
interchangeable input clips.
Click here for an image of the clips.
mounting hardware for display, controller PCB, keyboard PCB and serial
connector. The enclosure is made of plastic and includes a cutout and window
for the display. The buyer needs to cut holes for the keyboard push-buttons
and connectors and make a label.
- USB-serial adapter (we use various brand including
Plugable, Startech and Trendnet). Note: Limited
- Build Option: With the build option we install all
components on both the main and keyboard PCBs and test them together with a
live sensor setup in our lab. Note: The build option does not include mounting
the PCBs in the optional
enclosure. The build option does not include mounting the sensors in a
fixture or enclosure. The build option is for buyers who wish to obtain
printed circuit board assemblies that are pre-built and tested. For
education purposes, we recommend purchasers build their own SAM-III if they
have soldering experience. The SAM-III
is not a first-time kit.
Not included with the SAM-III Kit
- Sensor cable (we recommend a separate cable for each
magnetic sensor, direct-buried shielded
twisted pair cable or direct-buried coaxial cable for outdoor installations
and shielded Cat5 or better cable for indoor installations).
- Sensor fixture or enclosure (we recommend the builder fabricate
an enclosure as described in the construction manual and suitable for their application).
See above for link to the page with the manuals.
SAM-III Kit Ordering
Information and Prices (subject to change)
SAM-III Kit with (1) magnetometer sensor
US $231.00 each
SAM-III Kit with (2) magnetometer sensors
US $286.00 each
SAM-III Kit with (3) magnetometer sensors
US $341.00 each
Enclosure, instrument style, polystyrene
US $51.00 each
AC adapter power supply, regulated 12 Vdc, 8.4 W
output (NA only) *
US $20.00 each
AC adapter power supply, universal input, regulated 12 Vdc,
interchangeable input clips) *
US $65.00 each
USB-Serial adapter, USB 2.0 (Windows XP through 10)
US $20.00 each
Build option: Construct and test the SAM-III PCBs
US $100.00 each
Additional magnetometer sensor (includes connector
and filter capacitors)
US $60.00 each
Shipping with insurance (US
Determined at shipment
Shipping International See note
Determined at shipment
* We may substitute power supplies with slightly
different power ratings and part numbers based on stock on hand.
To place an order, contact us at the following address:
Read This Before Ordering